Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Some new toys

Administrator

Some new toys

I'd love to hear honest opinions on the photography here. My first thought is the yellow back light might be a little too much. I thought about using the white diffuser to try it out, but got lazy.
    Please tell me what you think of my photos. I'm always looking for brutal honesty so I can improve my work.

BrainardPhotography.com | FretboardStudio

Besides, getting punched in the face doesn't hurt as much as you might think. -michjo

Hey there John! Is there anything better than guns and photography? Generally I like the images. I think I prefer the third shot best primarily because of the DOF and you managed to leave the black background out of the image (it's all table). I also like the mat and texture you chose to lay the guns on.

I think you're right about the yellow light - I am not sure if I like it. It would be interesting to see something else. I'd like to compare it to natural strobe lighting - it would also be fun to play around with a red light. The sharp shadows in the second image are little distracting.

Nice work!

BTW - I have me a Glock 23 too!

Administrator
    Thanks for the feedback Steve! There is nothing better than guns and photography. My ideal job would be web developer for a firearms company which allowed me to do all the programming and product photography. I wouldn't mind testing the products either. :-)

I think I'll play around with some more photos tomorrow while I still have my stuff set up. The surface is a guitar case. It'd be nice if I had a sheet of fabric that was used to cover it. It's a nice color and texture.
    Please tell me what you think of my photos. I'm always looking for brutal honesty so I can improve my work.

Besides, getting punched in the face doesn't hurt as much as you might think. -michjo

JOHN!!!! Why? ...Why you do that to me???.... You're cruel... ...Waaaah!!!
    Bye, to the next shot!
    Marcoattilio

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoattilio View Post
    JOHN!!!! Why? ...Why you do that to me???.... You're cruel... ...Waaaah!!!
    I felt the same way when I was living in New York! Are the gun laws in Italy really strict?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    I felt the same way when I was living in New York! Are the gun laws in Italy really strict?
    Yes, gun laws are very strict and someone (any politician) is working to have more severe rules.
    Bye, to the next shot!
    Marcoattilio

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoattilio View Post
    Yes, gun laws are very strict and someone (any politician) is working to have more severe rules.
    That's real unfortunate. Where the gun laws are real strict here, we have the highest crime rates (DC, Chicago...)

Nice shots! The yellow doesn't bother me, I think the color helps keep the light from being too flat and gave nice specular highlights. The only thing I might change was the guitar case fabric. Its a nice pattern and worked well with the yellow light, but seemed a bit busy when combined with the pattern on the grip.
    Last edited by Michael; 03-11-2014 at 04:01 AM.
    MikeSchwarzPhotography.com | Mike Schwarz Photography on facebook
    “If your photographs aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.” – Robert Cappa