Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Model at the beach

I hope this isn't too risque for this forum. :)

I shot this image of a college student/model at the beach. I'm trying to add a wider variety of portraits to my portfolio and start shooting modeling comp cards. I'd love any feedback that anyone wants to share. :) I'm still trying to decide between color and BW.

Tech details:
    Lens: Canon 85 mm f/1.4 prime @ f/4
    Camera: Canon 5d mk II
    Lighting: sun from behind the model left, 42" reflector from camera left held by guy lines (wind sucks on the beach), fill provided by the sand
    Makeup and FX: Mascara, foundation, lip gloss. Water droplets applied by spray bottle.

(see below)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WORKING_IMG_4708 as Smart Object-1_V3_Crop_Working_2015_Color.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	4842 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WORKING_IMG_4708 as Smart Object-1_V3_Crop_Working_2015.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	4843

Behind the scenes:
    (the model is blurred because I didn't feel like processing the BTS photo to match the final.

Name:	BTS.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	334.6 KB 
ID:	4844
    MikeSchwarzPhotography.com | Mike Schwarz Photography on facebook
    “If your photographs aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.” – Robert Cappa

Nice work Michael - shooting is direct sunlight on a windy beach without an assistant is challenging. I think both versions of the image look great. She'll probably want the black and white version for her modeling card. What are you using to convert your images to black and white?

Good work, Michael!
    Bye, to the next shot!
    Marcoattilio

Thank you both!

I used multiple black and white adjustment layers in photoshop and layer masks. I used the masks to increase or decrease the lightness value for specific colors in specific parts of the image. E.g., I wanted the blues in her shorts to be darker. I masked in a BW adj. layer to them before I applied a general black and white filter to the rest of the image. Because the bottom filter made them monochrome, they weren't affected by the filter on top and I could adjust the settings for them separately.
    “If your photographs aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.” – Robert Cappa

This is great - I'd like to get into some beach photography for family portraits. Out of interest did you use a silver or white reflector?

Hi Steve!

I believe it was white, but unfortunately I don't remember for sure. I think the light from the silver side would have been harder and more specular than what's in the image.

Beaches offer some nice portrait opportunities, but take more than the normal amount of work to run a shoot. Blowing sand (not to mention salt water) can instantly kill cameras, lenses, and lights. I always try to have an assistant if I'm going to shoot on a beach. I also cover every exposed crack and crevice on my camera with gaff tape, especially on non-weather sealed lenses. Immediately after the shoot, I brush and rocket-blast all of my gear before it goes back in to my normal cases.

Thanks for that Michael, I can imagine the elements would make things very challenging - I'll definitely use the duct tape idea as I can't afford to lose the use of any of my lenses or the body!

Glad to help! Different countries have different names for gaffer's tape and duct tape, so I thought I should clarify my recommendation. In the US, gaff or gaffer's tape refers to a cloth tape with adhesive on the back that can be removed without leaving a residue while duct tape refers to a plastic tape that has a very sticky adhesive that leaves behind a sticky residue when the tape is removed. I'd recommend using gaffer's tape or other cleanly removable to avoid hurting your camera.

Because I often shoot in less then perfect conditions, this stays on my camera all the time:

Name:	IMG_20150608_180119127.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	484.5 KB 
ID:	4853

Name:	IMG_20150608_180148417.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	476.5 KB 
ID:	4854

Ah I see, that is most helpful - I didn't realise they were different! Thanks again :)